[Watch this lightning talk on The Perl Conference YouTube
I've been working on the CPAN Testers
project since 2015. In all that time, I've been focused on maintenance
(which has involved more operations/administration tasks than any actual
code changes) and modernization. It's that modernization effort that has
led to a new CPAN Testers API.
This new API uses the Mojolicious web
framework, along with an
OpenAPI schema to expose all of the most useful
CPAN Testers data. OpenAPI is a specification for web APIs, and there
are tools like Swagger to generate a useful documentation
website from your spec, like the CPAN Testers API documentation
Continue reading CPAN Testers Has an API...
This year I had one goal for CPAN Testers:
Replace the current Metabase API with
a new API that did not write to Amazon SimpleDB. The current
high-availability database that raw incoming test reports are written is
Amazon SimpleDB behind an API called Metabase.
Metabase is a highly-flexible data
storage API designed to work with massive, unstructured data sets and
still allow for sane organization and storage of data. Unfortunately,
Amazon SimpleDB is as it says on the tin: Simple. Worse, it's expensive:
Like most Amazon services, it charges for usage, so there's a huge
incentive for CPAN Testers to use it as little as possible (which made
some of the code quite obtuse).
So, I made a plan to excise the Metabase. Since we already cached every
raw test report locally in the CPAN Testers MySQL database, I planned to
write a new Metabase API that wrote directly to the cache, and then
adjust the backend processing to read from the cache. I spent the better
part of a month working through all the Metabase APIs, how the data was
stored in the database, and how to translate between a simple JSON
format and the serialized Metabase objects. However, some proper schema
design prevented me from finishing this project: A single
column could not be changed to allow nulls very easily, it being a 600GB
table. The one time where a well-designed schema was a bad thing!
But then Garu, author of
came up with an idea to make a new test report format. These new reports
would have to be stored in a new place, and I discovered that MySQL had
recently started building some rich JSON
a new JSON test report format and storing it in our new
high-availability MySQL cluster seemed like a perfect solution for
storing our raw test reports.
After a few weeks of discussion, I finally realized that it would be an
easier task to make a backwards-compatible Metabase API write to the new
test report MySQL table, even though it increased the amount of work
that needed to be done:
- Complete the new test report format schema (Garu)
- Write the new backwards-compatibility Metabase API (Me)
- Write a new test report processor that writes to the old Metabase
cache tables (Joel Berger)
- Write a migration script from the old Metabase cache tables to the new
test report JSON object (?)
With that plan, I headed for Lyon.
Continue reading 2017 Perl Toolchain Summit...
As part of the MetaCPAN hackathon,
meta::hack, I was invited to work
on the CPAN Testers integration. CPAN Testers
is a community of CPAN users who send in test reports
for CPAN modules as they are uploaded. MetaCPAN
adds a summary of those test reports to every CPAN distribution to help
you determine which module you'd most like to use. For quite a few
months, this integration was broken, and the nature of the current
integration (a SQLite database) means it is not as generally useful as
it could be.
So, I decided that the best way to improve the CPAN Testers / MetaCPAN
integration was to build a new CPAN Testers
API. This API uses the CPAN Testers
schema to expose CPAN
Testers data using a JSON API. This API is built using the Mojolicious
web framework, and an OpenAPI
Continue reading CPAN Testers Has a New API...
Last week, I attended meta::hack, the MetaCPAN hackathon
in Chicago. I'm the maintainer for CPAN Testers, the
central database for CPAN users to send in test reports on CPAN distributions
and one of MetaCPAN's data sources. I asked to join them so I could improve how
MetaCPAN consumes CPAN Testers data, and ensure the stability and reliability
of that consumption.
Here's a detailed log of what I was able to accomplish, and information on the
new development of CPAN Testers.
Continue reading meta::hack log...
This year, I was invited to the Perl QA Hackathon in Rugby,
UK. It was wonderful to meet all
the Perl people I'd been interacting with all this time.
My goals going into the hackathon weren't that clear: I've recently
begun adopting the CPANTesters project,
and I had to take the opportunity to talk with its former leader,
Barbie, fix some current issues, and then...
While Barbie fixed the version summaries and Metacpan
I started work on an automated deploy for
CPANTesters using Rex, which
will allow for reproducible deployments and development virtual
machines, and I began keeping track of the project and future goals in
a CPANTesters project
which should help with keeping CPANTesters going as an open community project.
I'll be making future blog posts on both of these, though I've spoken
about Rex before.
Thanks to Barbie for 10 years of CPANTesters, and special thanks to
Capside for their donation, both monetary and
avian, as they sent Oriol Soriano to
help with some CPANTesters tasks.
And finally, thanks to all the other sponsors of the
their support, we couldn't do all the work we do on the Perl ecosystem.